If you’ve considered developing a new product or launching a new technology in Western Canada, the second call for proposals for the WINN program is right around the corner. Less than a year ago, the federal government announced the Western Innovation Initiative (WINN), a funding program available to help innovators commercialize technology-based products, processes, and services. Over the next 5 years, WINN will provide up to $100M in repayable assistance to applicable small-to-medium businesses (SME’s).
What is the WINN Program?
According to Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification during the Federal Announcement on Oct 26, 2013:
“WINN demonstrates our Government’s commitment to ensuring that Canadian businesses continue to grow and generate high-value jobs across the West. This initiative will help address a need identified by western Canadian businesses to help bring leading-edge innovations to domestic and global markets.”
More specifically, the WINN initiative seeks to stimulate innovation in health and life sciences, clean technology and energy, aerospace and defence, nanotechnology, and information and communications technology.
Who’s Eligible to Apply for WINN?
Eligible applicants must be:
- Incorporated businesses that have been in operation for at least 1 year
- Located in Western Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, or British Columbia)
- Have less than 500 employees
Eligible applicants can apply for funding towards the following:
- Introducing a new product, process or service to new or existing markets
- Improvement of products, processes or services;
- Technology development/acceleration;
- Product certifications, including Controlled Goods Registration;
- Pilot projects (first user) and technology demonstration projects;
- Validation of market potential and end-user acceptance; and
- Support for marketing, human resources development, productivity, and process or quality improvement directly related to the commercialization of new opportunities.
When Is The Next Application Intake?
The second call for proposals will be launching on September 30, 2014.
Attend An Info Session to Learn More
The WD will be delivering 7 WINN information sessions in Edmonton and Calgary this Fall on the following dates:
EDMONTON – Sessions being held at 2nd Floor of Canada Place, 9700 Jasper Avenue
- Session 1 – Tuesday, September 16 – 10:00 am to 11:00 am (Room 204)
- Session 2 – Tuesday, September 16 – 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm (Room 204)
- Session 3 – Thursday, September 18 – 10:00 am to 11:00 am (Room 217)
- Session 4 – Thursday, September 18 – 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm (Room 217)
- Session 5 – Monday, September 22 – 10:00 am to 11:00 am (Room 201)
CALGARY – Session being held at the Exchange Centre, 200 – 639 5th Avenue SW
- Session 6 – Tuesday, September 23 – 10:00 am to 11:00 am
- Session 7 – Tuesday, September 23 – 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm
How Does WINN Funding Complement SR&ED?
If you’d like to learn more about how receiving this funding may affect your SR&ED claim, contact us.